South Dakota Pork Production At A Glance
- There are 2,300,000 hogs in South Dakota
- 11,000 South Dakotan’s work in the pork industry
- 560,000 litters of pigs were born and raised in 2020
- $892 million added to the gross state product from pork production
- 37 million bushels of corn and 10 million bushels of beans are fed to pigs every year in SD
- South Dakota is currently ranked #9
What is the South Dakota Pork Producers Council?
The South Dakota Pork Producers Council is a unified and engaged advocate that promotes, with integrity, the image and growth of the South Dakota pork industry through education, research, marketing, and responsible policy.
SDPPC operates with 2 sources of funding, a mandatory checkoff established in 1985 and a voluntary
funding program supported by producers and allied industry started back in the 1967.
The mandatory checkoff dollars are restricted to 3 areas, education, research and promotion. The voluntary funding is unrestricted and used for legislative and regulatory issues.